by Jane Alison
Catapult publishes literary fiction and narrative nonfiction that is insightful, stirring, and surprising, and champions both emerging and established voices. We are based in New York City.
- Harper's Bazaar recommends Jane Alison's Nine Island! Nine Island is also one of ELLE's "11 Best Books for September." Writes Estelle Tang, "The free form of Alison’s prose will keep you on your toes, and her meditations on the absence and presence of love will touch your heart."
- Of Nine Island, Chauncey Mabe writes in the Miami Herald: "The more or less constant delights of Jane Alison’s latest novel bubble up out of a story that is, incongruously, bleak. It is quite an achievement, a comic novel about a woman of a certain age as she contemplates embracing a not-altogether-unwelcome spinsterhood. . . . There is a wonderful observation . . . on every page.”
- For information on Jane Alison's readings in cities including Miami, Charlottesville, and Washington, DC, visit our Community page.
- In The New York Times Book Review, Terrence Rafferty writes of Michelle de Kretser's novella, Springtime, "This is a gorgeous, delicately surprising piece of writing. . . . It's like spirit photography, all fuzzy outlines and unaccountable light: a snapshot of something that may or may not exist."
- In The New Yorker online, Lucy Ives discusses unconventional historical fiction, highlighting Danielle Dutton’s Margaret the First. Ultimately, Ives concludes, “Dutton's work serves to emphasize the ambiguities of archival proof, restoring historical narratives to what they have perhaps always already been: provoking and serious fantasies, convincing reconstructions, true fictions.”
Catapult Books. Free Shipping Available in the US.
Nine Island by Jane Alison